Thursday, October 15, 2009

18 weeks

Head to rump, our baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and it weighs almost 7 ounces. It's busy flexing it's arms and legs — movements that I'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. It's blood vessels are visible through it's thin skin, and it's ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from it's head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around the nerves, a process that will continue for a year after it's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now. But we won't be finding out the sex of the baby until the birth.

I'm doing well. My back is starting to hurt more and more. This could be from the pregnancy or from Loren being gone for the last week (no messages). My belly seams to be growing, but I have lost a couple pounds. I'm sure it is from Loren not being here to cook, but actually I've been so busy and exhausted that I haven't had time to cook. I think I feel the baby move everyday, but I'm still not sure if it is the baby or my stomach/insides bubbling up. We have an ultrasound on Tuesday the 20th, which I'm getting very excited for. I've already seen an ultrasound of the baby, but I'm excited to see the growth and development.

No comments: