Thursday, October 8, 2009

17 Weeks

Our baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — it's lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Our baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and it's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. It can move it's joints, and it's sweat glands are starting to develop.

As for me, life is going well. My belly is growing, but I have yet to gain any weight. I'm sure that will be changing in the next few weeks. I'm already wearing maternity clothing except for my jeans (I hate things being too tight). I think I felt the baby move this last Monday, but I'm not sure. I'm very excited to actually feel the baby move all the time. Sleeping has gotten uncomfortable. I'm a back sleeper and now it hurts my lower back to sleep on my back, and when I sleep on my sides it hurts my shoulders. I guess that means I just get more messages (hint hint Loren). I'm sure I'll be able to get through it though. I'm only 2 weeks away from a 2nd ultrasound and 3 weeks away from the 1/2 way mark. I never knew you could worry about something so much. I'm always worrying about if the baby is ok. When you can't feel it move, and don't get to hear the heart beat everyday, it make you think if it is still alive. I guess I'm just a worry wort.

Loren leaves to go hunting on Friday and could be gone until Sunday the 18th. I'm excited that he gets to go to the mountains every October and shoot something. I'm also very excited to hopefully replenish our dear in the freezer. The dear steaks and strogenoff are two of my favorite meals. I sure will miss him when he is gone. I'm sure I'll keep busy this next week at work (they are letting me have some overtime to get caught up on scanning), and at home with some projects I want to get completed. I always have projects to complete, I've been working on Tracy's wedding quilt for a couple of years now. Hopefully the finished product will come back with me when I visit for Christmas. Yes, that's right, Loren and I actually plan on flying to Kansas for Christmas this year. I haven't been home for Christmas since 2004. It's hard to justify a plane ticket for $500 a piece, but we better visit before our family grows and it is even more expensive. We could find the ticket for less, but we are needing fully refundable tickets, just in case something happens with the pregnancy. Kansas Family - sorry, but you won't be getting any presents from us this year, except for our presence.

Well that enough of my rambling, my lunch break is over and I need to get back to work. Hope all is well.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You look so cute! It is fun to be right with you in pregnancy. I am just over a week farther than you, so we are pretty much the same. Yeah, sleeping is the pits. I am so tired all the time, but I have so much trouble staying alseep at night. Are you guys going to find out what you are having? I have an ultrasound on Monday and I can't wait! Good luck.

Teresa said...

You look great! I am excited for you! Kansas for Christmas will be fun. You know we will only be like four hours from each other :) Good luck with sleeping, it always helped me to sleep with a pillow between my legs. Don't know why but it helped. :)

Nikki said...

Cute belly!!! I hate to say it but things only get more uncomfortable. It is all worth it though!! And I bet you even end up doing it again!


I just heard that Michelle Duggar is due March 18th! How lucky are you!